Every year, one in ten hospital patients develops a healthcare-associated infection during their stay in a UK hospital. Approximately 5,000 patients die as a direct result of one of these infections.
In most cases, these infections are difficult to treat and can complicate any other current or previous illnesses that a patient has, as well as causing distress for the individual and their family.
This course can help to tackle the outbreak of infection in hospitals and healthcare settings by giving learners a comprehensive understanding of the causes of infections, how they can spread and the best practices used to control it
Upon completion of this course, learners will receive a nationally recognised Level 2 qualification.
The course consists of four manageable units:
- Unit 1: The causes and spread of infection in health care settings
- Unit 2: The importance of personal hygiene and health in the prevention and control of infection in health care settings
- Unit 3: Principles of decontamination, cleaning and waste management in health care settings
- Unit 4: Principles of infection prevention and control in a health care setting
This is an online course studied via distance learning. To complete this course, learners will need access to a computer and a basic level of IT knowledge.
Studying via distance learning means learners can choose when and where they study. A dedicated Learner Support Advisor provides support to learners throughout the course.
Who is suitable?
Infection prevention is crucial to saving lives so this course is of high importance to any existing or new healthcare employees. The information contained in the course is vital to anyone who wishes to work in the healthcare sector in the future.
Full or partial funding for this course is dependent upon age, employment status and level of income. Learners must meet one or more eligibility criteria that includes:
- Anyone aged 19 years or over
- Living in Greater Manchester or in a Non-Devolved Authority region of England
- Not already holding a Level 2 qualification
- In employment but earning less than £17,500 annually
- Currently unemployed
- Recently been made redundant