Frequently Asked Questions About Apprenticeships
What is an apprenticeship?
Apprenticeships provide you with the skills and knowledge you need for your chosen career. They are real jobs that also lead to nationally recognised qualifications. Through a mix of on-the-job training and classroom learning you will earn while you learn.
What are the benefits of doing an apprenticeship?
- Earn and learn, receive a wage and gain a qualification.
- Gain a nationally recognised qualification.
- Receive friendly support and guidance.
- Gain invaluable work and real world experience.
- Become an essential part of a team.
- Improve your career prospects.
- Progress within your chosen industry.
- No debt!
How long does an apprenticeship take to complete?
Usually an apprenticeship will take between 12 and 18 months, with the minimum time being 12 months for your completion, however some can take over 24 months to complete.
How do you apply for an apprenticeship?
Applying for an apprenticeship is simple. All you need to do is complete the following three steps;
- Search for an apprenticeship vacancy on our website (you can find the search function here) or the ‘find apprenticeship’ government website. All applications will go through the government website.
- Sign in or create an account.
- Complete and submit your application.
And that’s all there is to it, congratulations, you’ve just applied for an apprenticeship!
How much do apprentices earn?
The current minimum wage for an apprentice is £3.90, however, this is just that, a minimum. A lot of employers pay a higher hourly wage and this can vary between sectors and employers. Every vacancy we post clearly states how much you will earn so you are fully aware before you apply for a role.
How old do I have to be before I can become an apprentice?
To become an apprentice you need to be 16 or over. However, it is always best to start planning and looking for potential vacancies 5-6 months before you intend to get a job; this will mean you are well prepared and knowledgeable when it comes to applying. There is no upper age limit to become an apprentice.
Do I need experience to become an apprentice?
Previous experience is not a set requirement, however, some employers may ask for it. Make sure you check the apprenticeship vacancy information to see if they ask for any specific experience or subject grades.
Will an apprenticeship lead to long term employment?
Apprenticeships offer a fantastic foundation to start a long term career. More than 90% of apprentices stay in employment after their course ends, clearly highlighting the long term benefits of completing an apprenticeship.