About Animal Care
If you love the idea of working with animals, then an Apprenticeship in Animal Care could be the route for you!
Working in the animal care industry means being responsible for the general welfare, supervision of animals. You may want to consider a job in the industry that has been described as both exciting and rewarding.
There are a diverse range of establishments such as; boarding kennels, day kennels, catteries, petting farms and pet shops. Whatever type of company you work for they will always require services for the care of their animals.
During the Apprenticeship you will cover areas such as:
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
- Promote and maintain the health and well-being of animals
- Deliver basic treatments to animals
- Select and prepare accommodation for animals
- Moving animals between locations
- Make sure your own actions reduce risks to health and safety
How do you get into the Industry?
In order to start an Animal Care Apprenticeship at either Level 2 or 3, you need to have a job in the industry as this is a work-based qualification.
You do not always need academic qualifications to start training working in Animal Care. However, some employers may prefer you to have a good standard of general Education such as GCSEs, including English and maths.
The Animal Care Apprenticeship can lead to a variety of career and promotional opportunities including:
- Animal Care level 3 (dependant on job role)
- Customer service